Thursday, September 21, 2006

"Aria" by George Bilgere

In the past year, I've been through an enormous amount of anxiety and overall trouble that was put on me by my family. I won’t go into detail, but to put it simply, there was a lot of resentment between my parents and it felt as if my family was falling apart at the seams. When listening and reading to this poem I also felt the same about this family. It seems as if the family had just gone through a huge loss and they’re trying to get their life back in order

When I was reading I was under the impression that the father was an opera singer, but he can’t sing anymore because he had to get a lung removed. Once he hears the song and pulls off the road, the children immediately go silent and stop fidgeting because they know how much opera still means to him. The wife just seems extremely frustrated with the whole situation and instead of staying there and listening, she gets out and smokes a cigarette wishing that he wouldn’t still lurk in the past and try to get over it.

There are a lot of things that ruin our moods and can really hurt or even ‘ruin’ our lives. I put ‘ruin’ in quotes when dealing with life because to me, no matter how bad things get, you have to look to the good, at least a little bit. If you don’t, things will just get worse and you probably won’t end up feeling happy for a long time. I’ve learned from first-hand experience how horrible things can get. But also, the fact that no matter how bad things get you have to open up to someone, tell them all your feelings or write your frustrations down, do something to get it out before it starts eating away at you. You just have to look up to something positive and try to enjoy yourself or else nothing will change.

No comments: