Thursday, November 02, 2006

"Halley's Comet" by Stanley Kunitz


This poem sparked a lot of emotion in me, it reminded me of whenever my dad would wake me up in the middle of the night to see shooting/falling stars and meteor showers. He knew I was into astronomy (I never studied the constellations or anything, but I always wanted to go into space), so he knew i would like to see those things. Sometimes it was a failed attempt, because you couldn't see too well with the lights from the streets and downtown reflecting on the sky.

When reading this poem, I put myself into the boy's shoes and tired to see how his life was. Figuring the author saw this in 1910, the world was a very different place. But the poem seemed to connect two different worlds and time periods together. I could imagine sneaking up on my rooftop to look at the stars and sometimes, a comet, at night. it's a very relaxing thing to do.

Even though the poem stressed the boy thinking the world was going to end, and he was hearing people on the street corner, telling him to repent to God because if he doesn't he will die and never go to heaven. Thats a pretty scary thing for a 6-7 year old to go through, especially when they don't know a lot. But the young boy seemed to take this almost as a challenge, he went up to the roof, out of curiousness, excitement or anxiousness who knows, but just because he went up there to look up and watch the comet is almost like him saying "I'm not afraid."

No comments: